By Roger P. Levin, DDS
Social media can be a lot of fun. That’s one of the big reasons so many people spend so much time “socializing” online every day. If you want current and prospective patients and parents to pay attention to your posts—and feel good about your practice—keep them smiling. Here are some guidelines for upping the fun factor:
- Games are good! People of all ages like puzzles, quizzes, and other simple games. If you search online, you’ll find many sources where you can get them for free. Some of these can be just for fun, but you can also use them to educate patients and parents about ortho treatment and general oral health and home care.
- Move beyond words. Photos and videos bring social media posts to life, and they can be laughing-out-loud funny for both children and adults. Encourage everyone on your staff to take fun photos and videos themselves, e.g., an assistant learning how to ski, or your new kitten chasing its tail. Show team members performing community service. Post a video explaining the importance of staying on schedule… performed by hand puppets. Use your imagination!
- Have contests and drawings. Winning contests and prizes is also fun, and social media accounts are perfect for giving people a chance to play and win. Establish a monthly schedule, related to seasonal events and holidays everyone will come back to your accounts regularly to see what’s up.
- Don't take yourself too seriously. Orthodontics is a serious profession, and your status as an orthodontist is highly respectable, but social media’s no place for stuffy self-importance. Loosen up.
- Show that your practice is a fun place. Showing prospective patients and parents that your office is a happy place will help persuade them to come to you for ortho treatment. Fun is a serious selling point.
To make the most of your social media activities, make sure your online visitors and followers have so much fun they’ll keep coming back for more.
Attend Dr. Levin’s ortho seminar The Business of Orthodontics… Simplified, on November 18 in Dallas, tuition-free. Ask your Ortho2 Systems Consultant how to receive an Educational Grant. Go to www.levingroup.com/orthoseminars to see other dates and locations for 2016.